Friday, June 22, 2012

Chapter 1 Reflections

Reflecting on What I Know

1.  Must I use a inquiry-based learning approach in my classroom to use computers as a tool?
Inquiry-based learning is not the only way computers can be used as a tool.  Computers can be used in a variety of ways to help students learn new knowledge or practice skills.  However, inquiry-based learning does encourage students to gain deeper understanding through the use of computers.  According to Lowther and Morrison (2010), "When students use computers to retrieve, evaluate, and manipulate real-world information to solve a meaningful problem, they not only increase their 21st-century skills, but also gain a deeper understanding of core content" ( p.4).  Technology is everywhere and knowing that students need to be able to use the computer for more than just games, I believe inquiry-based learning is a wonderful approach to incorporate 21st century skills.


2.  Can I still use tutorials and drill-and-practice software?
Even though tutorials and drill-and-practice software should not be used solely, they can still be used in the classroom.  Sometimes these approaches are necessary for students to gain specific skills or to practice math concepts.   Teachers need to be aware of the amount of drill-and-practice activities they are using because many times they lead to memorization instead of deeper knowledge.


3.  Won't I have to spend a great deal of time to develop these units of instruction?
In my opinion, great teachers already spend a great deal of time to develop meaningful lesson plans and units.  It may take a little longer when incorporating open-ended problems and technology but if it helps increase student achievement then it is well worth the time taken.  The more familiar I become with technology tools and inquiry-based learning, the quicker I will become with designing units and integrated lesson plans.  Also, my second grade team could work together to create these new integrated units in order to limit the amount of time each of us would need to spend.

4.  Won't every student need a computer to use it as a tool?
It is not necessary for every student to have a computer to use it as a tool.  Students can be given specific jobs or even assigned helpers when completing computer tasks.  Lowther and Morrison (2010) state, "The learners are empowered as they acquire new skills, and the students serving as coaches become empowered through the opportunity to educate others" (p.14).  There are only three computers in my classroom so I am accustomed to pairing or even grouping my students together when they need to complete an assignment.  When I group them I typically change their role so they do not always do the same thing within their group.  It also gives each student a chance to learn the technology tools being used.

References
Lowther, D., and Morrison, G. (2010). Integrating Technology into the Classroom: Skills for the 21st Century. Boston, MA. Pearson Education, Inc. USA

No comments:

Post a Comment