Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Chapter 4 Reflections

Reflecting on What I Know

1.  There are so many types of software; how do I know which ones to include in my lessons?
There are several options when it comes to using computer software.  However, different software choices lend themselves to different types of lessons.  For example, if I am teaching a writing unit and I want my students to create and edit a writing product, I will have them use word processing software to complete this task  If I am having students conduct research on a topic and create a final product to present to the class, I will have them first use search engines to help with the research and then have them use presentation software to create a project.  There are many times when I might have my students practice math concepts by using gaming software.  These are just a few ways to incorporate computer software into lesson plans.  It is important to use your district's standards to ensure you include each type of software necessary when lesson planning.


2.  I understand why students should use educational software and the Internet, but why should my fourth-grade students learn to use spreadsheet, database, or video-editing software?
Spreadsheets, databases, and video-editing software provide engaging ways for students to build on their content knowledge.
Spreadsheets are important for young learners because it builds upon their math abilities.  Morrison and Lowther (2010) state, "There is a clear connection between mathematics and the use of spreadsheets. (p.95)  Software such as spreadsheets will be used throughout a child's life so the earlier they can be exposed, the more knowledgeable they will be.


Databases also stimulate motivation because students can easily search any inquiry they may have on a given topic area.  "When students enter information in a database, students can conduct limitless inquiries with the click of a mouse, which rewards and supports the inquisitive nature of student learning" (Morrison & Lowther, 2010. p.97).
Video-editing can be used with young learners because it has become very user-friendly.  Students can take more responsibility for their final product by conducting video-editing techniques.  It seems to be highly engaging and students will probably produce higher quality work when they are the ones responsible for completing this task.
Students are able to learn more content when they stay engaged in the process so these software options are excellent choices for motivating students and keeping them interested.



3.  How can student use of different types of software help improve scores on state tests?
Different types of software help students build on their content knowledge as well as help them learn to problem solve.  When students come across things they are unsure of when using their software, they have to think about ways to find the answer or figure out how to fix the problem.  This helps students become more creative and build problem solving skills which are crucial for taking state tests.  Also, the more engaged students are, the more information they are able to learn and retain, which also helps immensely on state tests.



References

 Lowther, D. & Morrison, G. (2010). Integrating Computer Technology into the Classroom: Skills for the 21st Century. Pearson Education, Inc. Boston, MA. USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment