Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Chapter 6 Reflections

Reflecting on What I Know: 

1.  Now that I have access to the Web, how can I use it effectively?
There are many ways to use the Web within a classroom.  I could use the Web to have my students conduct research on a particular topic by using search engines and useful websites.  However, in order to do this, students must be able to evaluate websites and determine if the information presented seems accurate.  I can also use the Web as a collaboration tool for my students by allowing them to work together using Google Docs.   Another way to use the Web within my classroom would be to use it for communication purposes.  To do this effectively, I need to teach students appropriate ways to communicate through email or blogs.  They need to remember to be respectful and to use appropriate language at all times when using the Web as a communication tool.

2.  How do I manage students' use of the Web in my class?
Managing students' use of the Web can be difficult at times, but is necessary.  I would begin by reviewing guidelines for using the Web and my expectations.  Then, I would monitor their use consistently by walking around the room, checking the screens they are looking at, and questioning their reasons for searching certain websites.  If I felt students were doing something suspicious, I could review the history on their computer to locate each website they had been to.  If students are doing inappropriate things on the Web intentionally, then I would have set consequences for them.  According to Morrison and Lowther (2010), "When students are doing Internet searches, "accidents" happen" (p.164).  If an accident happens I want the student to let me know and I will help them find what they were looking for.  There would be no bad consequence for those accidents.

3.  Which features of the Web do I use?
 I would personally use search engines, email, and school websites the most.  I use search engines to locate resources I need to enhance my lesson plans and to conduct research on certain areas I want to improve in.  I use email and my school website to communicate with parents and to keep them informed of assignments, upcoming events, and exciting news.






References

 Lowther, D. & Morrison, G. (2010). Integrating Computer Technology into the Classroom: Skills for the 21st Century. Pearson Education, Inc. Boston, MA. USA.  

No comments:

Post a Comment